Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Not Pictured...

So... I've been under some "stress" lately. :) And with that stress has come many opportunities to worry, get frustrated, worry, get angry, worry, get depressed and... did I mention worry?

Today, I was browsing my email and saw one from our realtor friend (We are still at the daydreaming stage to getting a house, but it's fun to daydream!). I opened it to take a look at some of our options. There was one listing that sounded AMAZING! It was a large house, with a large master, a jacuzzi bath, open kitchen, fenced-in backyard... lots of perks! And the description sounded great! Notice I say "sounded"? The photo of it was...



That's a bad sign to me. In fact, I usually don't even read the listing because of the lack of photos. In my experience, no photographic evidence is a bad sign. OR when the photos consist of just one of the back deck... not a good sign either. I only took the time to read this one because I was thinking about the revelation behind it.

As Christians, we can talk ourselves up all day long. Actually, we can even do the things we say. We can pray 3 hours a day, study the Word 2 hours a day, etc. But if our photo does not represent a Christian, people will look right over us to the next thing.

Too often, "Christians" try to preach to others, which is actually in reality a way for us to judge others, to feel better about ourselves, to feel smarter, etc. But if our everyday walk, our everyday attitude and our everyday fruit does not show the life of a Christian, then no one is going to pay attention to us!

I too am guilty of this in an area of life. I am so good at trusting God in so many areas of my life and so I easily preach to others about trust. But when it comes to finances, I am easily dissuaded. When something unexpected comes up in this area, I get frustrated, sometimes angry. Recently, I "lost money". I donated to something that didn't pan out and I personally lost a couple hundred dollars as well as several hours of time. I was the only person out money. I then found out that my best client was pulling out of some work they had promised me. Then the medical bills just keep coming. I was stressed, fatigued and honestly... I got angry.

It was unsettling in my spirit how I dealt with everything. When I looked in the mirror, I didn't feel like I was pictured! I know in my heart who I am. I know the teaching I have and the peace I have deep down at my foundation. I know that I am built on good ground. I know that I have rooms full of love and compassion. I know that I am a good person. But in all honesty, it was not being pictured!

When someone does something we think they should not, when we get hurt, when things go unexpectedly awry... I understand that it's so easy to get upset. I know it's easy to judge others. I know it's easy to spout your opinions on Facebook "No one should do this. If you do, you're in the wrong!" I know that. But, listen to me... As Christians, we must be PICTURED as Christians first. Allow people to see our photo as a nice person, a kind person. Let them first SEE US as a beautiful house that is built on God, with rooms full of love and compassion.

Pictures truly are worth 1000 words! And sadly, your "listing" can sounding amazing, but without the photos to back it up, you will be passed over. For me, it has meant forgiveness, trust and learning to live with joy no matter what (yes, that's right - no matter what). It means trusting God to be my provider - with finances, love, health, everything! Trust Him and move forward with that foundation. Do not worry (Matthew 6:34) but continue with peace that this moment will pass and find the joy within (from God). I don't want people to see me as a whiner, a complainer, an angry person, a person who always seems to have things going wrong in their life, a person who likes to cause division, etc. I want people to see a life of peace, built on love - God's love. That's the picture I want shown! What about you?

JOHN 13:34-35 says...
"A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another."

No comments:

Post a Comment